Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
Man, 85, fatally stabbed in southern Michigan Meijer store
AP

Man, 85, fatally stabbed in southern Michigan Meijer store

  • Updated
  • 0
Only $5 for 5 months

ADRIAN, Mich. (AP) — An 85-year-old man was stabbed to death Wednesday inside a southern Michigan Meijer store, authorities said.

The man was stabbed multiple times in the head and neck and died at the scene, The Daily Telegram of Adrian reported.

Adrian Police Chief Vincent Emrick said a woman armed with a handgun ordered the suspect, a 29-year-old Adrian man, to the floor and held him until officers arrived.

Emrick said the woman has a concealed pistol license.

The stabbing occurred Wednesday afternoon near the automotive and sporting good sections in the retail store, about 72 miles (116 kilometers) southwest of Detroit. A knife believed used in the stabbing was found on a store shelf.

The victim and suspect entered the store separately, Emrick said. The victim's name was not immediately released. The chief did not discuss a motive and the investigation is continuing.

“At this time, we’re reviewing video footage from the store surveillance cameras as well as cellphone camera footage from witnesses at the scene,” he said.

A commotion from the rear of the store drew the attention of some shoppers who had not witnessed the attack.

“We were getting in line and we heard people start screaming in the back of the store,” said Becky Perez, who was with her husband, Rudy. “Then, I see some employees start running and then I see people running from the back. They were screaming and running out the front door.”

A “code 50” was announced over the store’s PA system and employees could be seen running in the direction of the commotion, she added.

“The scary part is we were just back there in that department because Rudy was looking for ... headlights or something in automotive and then I went to the bathroom back there,” Becky Perez said.

A spokesman for Meijer was not immediately available for comment, according to the newspaper.

For copyright information, check with the distributor of this item, The Daily Telegram.

The business news you need

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

  • Updated

WELLINGTON, New Zealand: All remaining virus restrictions will be lifted across much of New Zealand from late Monday with the exception of the largest city, Auckland, which will continue to have some restrictions for at least another 16 days. Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern made the announcement Monday after meeting with top lawmakers. The nation of 5 million re-imposed some restrictions last month after an Auckland outbreak which now appears to be under control. Under the plan, maximum gathering sizes in Auckland will be increased from 10 to 100 on Wednesday and then caps removed two weeks after that. “Auckland needs more time,” Ardern told reporters in the city. “Whilst we have reasonable confidence we are on the right track, there is still a need in Auckland for that cautious approach.” Health authorities reported no new cases on Monday. The number of active cases is 62, with 33 from community spread and 29 among quarantined returning travelers.

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

Breaking News

News Alert