Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
Teen accused in NC school shooting is one step closer to being tried as an adult
0 Comments
editor's pick

Teen accused in NC school shooting is one step closer to being tried as an adult

  • Updated
  • 0
{{featured_button_text}}

A Winston-Salem 15-year-old charged with murder in the shooting of a fellow student is one step closer to being tried as an adult after a hearing in juvenile court Tuesday morning.

J.D. Byers, attorney for Maurice T. Evans Jr., waived a probable cause hearing. Evans, a thin boy dressed in a dark gray sweatshirt and light gray sweatpants, stood beside Byers. His parents were seated behind them, and his sister also attended. 

Evans is accused of fatally shooting William Chavis Renard Miller Jr. outside a classroom at Mount Tabor High School in Winston-Salem just after noon Sept. 1.

Miller and Evans were students at Mount Tabor High School. At a hearing last week, Forsyth County District Attorney Jim O'Neill said Evans threw a gun into a trash can on campus. O'Neill also said that the shooting was not a random act of violence but was the culmination of a long-simmering dispute between Miller and Evans. O'Neill said the shooting was captured by security cameras.

The shooting led to lockdowns at Mount Tabor High School and other schools in the area while Winston-Salem police and Forsyth County sheriff's deputies searched for the shooter. Evans was taken into custody at 6 p.m. Sept. 1, with assistance from the U.S. Marshals Carolinas Regional Fugitive Task Force.

The next step in the case is for Forsyth County prosecutors to seek an indictment for murder from a grand jury. That will happen Monday, Assistant District Attorney J. Patrick Ellington said in court. 

Records in the case, including the indictment, won't be made public for 10 days. 

Byers also asked that Evans be released into the custody of his parents and said that Evans had not caused any trouble at the juvenile detention center where he is being held. 

Judge Ted Kazakos of Forsyth District Court ordered that Evans remain in secured custody.

Another hearing in juvenile court is scheduled for Sept. 30. After that, Evans' hearings will be held in Forsyth Superior Court. 

Mount Tabor junior Mary Holton urges fellow students to reach out and support classmates.

0 Comments

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Recommended for you

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

Breaking News

News Alert