The month of February has been set aside as a month for several observances. We celebrate the Super Bowl, President’s Day, Valentine’s Day and African American/Black History. While the first three are generally one-day observances, Black History is to be celebrated for the entire month.
FLORENCE, S.C. -- Rep. Terry Alexander has a message for the African American community specifically and the Pee Dee community as a whole -- get the COVID-19 vaccine when it is your turn.
People of color communities have long suffered from a legacy of pollution, poverty and a lack of equity. This has and continues to happen because most polluting facilities are sited disproportionately in black and other people of color communities.
Jan. 6 is the 12th day of Christmas, commonly referred to as “Old Christmas.” In our Capitol, it was the date for the formal acceptance of the Electoral College vote by our Congress from the recent 2020 November election.
African American college enrollment remains consistently low nationally and in South Carolina. Black students currently comprise only 9.5 percent of undergraduate enrollment at South Carolina colleges and universities.
HARTSVILLE, S.C. — In searching for a historical account of the African-American community in his hometown of Hartsville, Emory Waters discove…
Most Caucasian Americans cannot identify with the fears, anxiety and uneasiness that African American parents feel between the police and their African American sons. Their sons’ lives can be jeopardized by leaving home in order to achieve a simple task.
FLORENCE, S.C. — When T.J. Joye and James Hudson take office soon as sheriffs of Florence and Darlington counties, respectively, one of the challenges they'll face is improving the relationship between African Americans and law enforcement.
COLUMBIA, S.C. — Former Florence One Schools Superintendent Allie Brooks Jr. will be among the people honored in the 2021 South Carolina African American History Calendar.
FLORENCE, S.C. — The city of Florence will be governed by a majority African American city council.
COLUMBIA, S.C. — Congressman Jim Clyburn implied Tuesday morning that he believed Tim Scott being a member of the Senate was token given to African Americans by Republicans.
I’m no less shocked than anybody else by the rise of the wacky QAnon conspiracy theory-turned-movement in this election year, and I’m not surprised by its viral spread.
FLORENCE, S.C. – Francis Marion University held the first in a series of discussions regarding cultural and racial issues on Friday at the FMU Performing Arts Center.
FLORENCE, S.C. — It is difficult for passersby to know if Wilson High School is holding class or not. The parking lots, normally filled with the cars of students, teachers, administrators and other faculty members, are mostly empty. The halls are most likely mostly quiet and the classrooms most likely nowhere near full. Recent data provided by Florence One Schools indicates that 390 students, 31.33% of the enrolled student body, are attending on alternating days. The remainder, 855, or 68.67%, are attending virtually.
FLORENCE, S.C. – Francis Marion University will host a series of discussions regarding cultural and racial issues beginning in October.
FLORENCE, S.C. -- Florence's new Black Lives Matter street mural begins with a woman, ends with a woman and between includes the masculine, Africa, a crown, a winged lion, liberty and a chain.
Hundreds are migrating to Ghana and Senegal to escape the racial tensions and the divisive politics in the US.
EFFINGHAM, S.C. — Angelica C. Gary’s artwork was selected by first lady Melania Trump for the Building the Movement Art Exhibit in honor of the women’s suffrage movement and the Ratification of the 19th Amendment.
I’ve been active in law enforcement for more than 50 years. During that time, I’ve seen numerous protests. I’ve also seen far too many riots. There’s a difference.